Job ID: 309116
Health Unit Coordinator - Intensive Care Unit (ICU)
Madison Heights, Michigan
Regular / Day
We Are Hiring
Health Unit Coordinator - Intensive Care Unit 001 - Full-Time,Day - Ascension Oakland - Macomb Hospital-34031 - Madison Heights,MI
Why Join Ascension?
Our Mission, Vision and Values: Ascension Michigan, as a Catholic health ministry, is committed to providing spiritually centered, holistic care which sustains and improves the health of individuals in the communities we serve, with special attention to the poor and vulnerable.
What You Will Do
As an associate with St. John Health-MI, you will have the opportunity to under direct supervision, coordinates and implements activities at the nursing station to ensure smooth operation of the unit. Serves as unit communication center by receiving and giving information. Strives for Clinical Excellence by utilizing established protocols in an effort to achieve Clinical Excellence.
- Non electronic medical record: Transcribe physicians’ orders. Electronic medical record: Monitor PAL and follows up on orders accordingly. Must actively keep abreast of current procedures to ensure that orders are accurate and complete. Communicate orders or changes in orders to the appropriate person or department either verbally, in writing or electronically.
- Schedule patients for various procedures and tests, arranges for test preparation with appropriate departments. Must coordinate activities to avoid conflict in scheduling and/or preparation of procedures.
- Act as the communication center for a patient unit or department, handles and directs all incoming and outgoing information, assists staff in answering nurse calls, operates pneumatic tube. Promptly answers patient call light intercom and notifies nursing staff member of patient’s need. Participate in team approach to patient care.
- Maintain the patients’ charts from admission through discharge, ensure that all necessary documents are in the chart before procedures, and is responsible for filing reports and preparing the charts for transfer to Medical Records if using paper chart. Ensure that all forms including duplicate/carbon copies are accurately labeled with the patient identification label.
- If hospital utilizes electronic record, ensure proper electronic forms are used.
- Perform clerical duties involved in the admission, discharge, transfer and death of a patient according to established procedure.
- Act as a receptionist for a unit or department to assist visitors, physicians and hospital staff utilizing exceptional service excellence skills.
- Assist in teaching new unit coordinators by providing information, support and direction during on-the-job training.
- Collect statistical data for patient population reports, as assigned.
- Notify Food Services of change in diets and orders nourishments, as appropriate.
- Maintain, orders and stocks all necessary material for the unit charts as well as patient education material for the unit.
- Maintain a neat organized work area/nurse’s station with appropriate level of supplies.
- Participate in a collaborative identification and reporting of patient safety issues.
- Is knowledgeable with regards to clinical outcome measures and patient satisfaction results.
- Demonstrate competency with regards to computer skills necessary for job functions. Complete annual competencies as designated. Participate in educational programs and in-services.
- Maintainscustomer focus. Models, teaches, applies, and upholds St. John Health Care Promises and utilizes them as their behavioral standard.
- If completed appropriate portion of CRIM class for monitor interpretation and has demonstrated competency in Cardiac Rhythm interpretation may be assigned telemetry monitoring duties. See Telemetry Monitoring Addendum.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Specific Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Medical Terminology
- Ability to interact effectively with patients, visitors, physicians, staff and other hospital departments.
- Filing systems
- Computer skills, including the ability to utilize the electronic medical record.
- Prioritization skills
What You Will Need
- HS or Equivalent
- High School graduate or equivalent is required Graduate of a Health Unit Clerk/Coordinator Training Program required Completion of one to three month Department of Nursing Education orientation with acceptable level of performance required
- Minimum of one year clerical/public relations experience preferred, or one year related hospital experience required.
- Telemetry monitoring experience preferred.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Ascension Michigan provides reasonable accommodation so that qualified applicants with a disability may participate in the selection process. Please advise us of any accommodations you request in order to express interest in a position by e-mailing: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please state your request for assistance in your message. Only reasonable accommodation requests related to applying for a specific position within Ascension Michigan will be reviewed at the e-mail address supplied.
Thank you for considering a career with Ascension Michigan.
Ascension Michigan participates in the Electronic Employment Verification Program. Please click the E-Verify link below for more information.