Job ID: 316599
First Assistant - Surgical
Regular / Rotating
We Are Hiring
First Assistant - Surgical
Orthopedic Hospital of WI
Ortho Hospital of Wisconsin - Glendale,WI
Why Join Ascension?
In Wisconsin, Ascension operates 24 hospitals and hundreds of related healthcare facilities that together employ more than 23,500 associates. Across the state, Ascension provided more than $230 million in community benefit and care of persons living in poverty in fiscal year 2016. Serving Wisconsin for 169 years, Ascension is a faith-based healthcare organization committed to delivering compassionate, personalized care to all, with special attention to persons living in poverty and those most vulnerable. Ascension is the largest non-profit health system in the U.S. and the world’s largest Catholic health system, operating 2,500 sites of care – including 141 hospitals and more than 30 senior living facilities – in 24 states and the District of Columbia. Visit www.ascension.org/wisconsin. We’re looking for talented associates to join us as we continue advancing healthcare across Wisconsin.
What You Will Do
As an Associate with Columbia St. Mary's-WI, you will have the opportunity to provide direct assistance to surgeons during surgical procedures.
- Positions patient to give best exposure for surgical procedure, using stabilizing equipment when necessary, while maximizing patient comfort and safety.
- Provides visualization of the operative site using appropriate method, including manipulation of tissue and materials, retraction, sponging, suctioning and irrigation.
- Utilizes appropriate technique to achieve temporary and permanent hemostasis.
- Assists with body plane closure, application of wound dressings and securing of drainage systems.
- Assist in room clean up and the removal of the soiled case cart, supplies, and trash from OR room as needed at the completion of the surgical case.
- Participates as a surgical team member in the preparation of the surgical suite according to surgeon's preference cards with appropriate instruments, resources and supplies.
What You Will Need
- Required Credential(s):
- BLS Provider credentialed from the American Heart Association (AHA) obtained within 2 Months (60 days) of hire date or job transfer date.
- Surgical Assistant credentialed from the National Board of Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting (NBSTSA) obtained prior to hire date or job transfer date.
- High school diploma/GED with 2 years of experience, or Associate's degree, or Technical degree required
Equal Employment Opportunity
Ascension Wisconsin is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against employees or prospective employees on basis of age, race, creed, color, religion, marital status, sex, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, sexual orientation, disability, arrest and/or conviction record, military status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic or status protected by law.
For further information regarding your EEO rights, click on the following link to the “EEO is the Law” poster:
EEO is the Law Poster Supplement