Job ID: 318415
Chief Compliance Officer
St Louis, Missouri
Regular / Day
We Are Hiring
Chief Compliance Officer - Compliance Corporate
Why Join Ascension?
Ascension is a faith-based healthcare organization dedicated to transformation through innovation across the continuum of care. As the largest non-profit health system in the U.S. and the world’s largest Catholic health system, Ascension is committed to delivering compassionate, personalized care to all, with special attention to persons living in poverty and those most vulnerable. In FY2017, Ascension provided more than $1.8 billion in care of persons living in poverty and other community benefit programs. Ascension includes approximately 165,000 associates and 34,000 aligned providers. Ascension’s Healthcare Division operates more than 2,600 sites of care – including 153 hospitals and more than 50 senior living facilities – in 22 states and the District of Columbia, while its Solutions Division provides a variety of services and solutions including physician practice management, venture capital investing, investment management, biomedical engineering, facilities management, clinical care management, information services, risk management, and contracting through Ascension’s own group purchasing organization.
What You Will Do
The Ascension Vice President & Chief Compliance Officer (“Chief Compliance Officer”) is responsible on an enterprise-wide basis for supporting the Ascension General Counsel in his or her duties of overseeing and managing the Ascension Compliance Program. The Chief Compliance Officer serves as the leader of the Compliance Center of Excellence within the Ascension Legal Function and will lead a team of experienced compliance professionals who are charged with designing and delivering appropriate, risk-based compliance policies and procedures and monitoring, auditing and training programs in support of the Delivery and Solutions divisions of Ascension.
- Manage multiple compliance program activities in one or multiple locations with minimal supervision.
- Manage multiple highly complex compliance matters with minimal supervision.
- Develop, maintain and update compliance policies and procedures, for multiple compliance activities to ensure compliance with applicable federal and state laws and regulations.
- Develop, lead and manage compliance program responsibilities including: monitoring, testing, annual reviews, and tracking.
- Oversee the compliance risk assessment process that is used to set annual compliance team priorities and objectives and to formulate long-term strategic objectives of the compliance program.
- Lead a risk-based program of auditing and monitoring activities, including the selection of appropriate internal and external resources to support the program.
- Direct and manage compliance projects and initiatives involving subsidiary or business line executives; provide compliance guidance and advice to subsidiary or business line executives.
- Develop and/or manage compliance staff across multiple compliance program activities.
- Develop, lead and oversee the preparation of compliance program documentation.
- Advise the Ascension General Counsel and Deputy General Counsel of regulatory risks, gaps, and problem situations; implement and lead corrective actions.
- Lead training initiatives including creating and delivering associate training regarding regulatory compliance requirements.
- Lead regulatory examinations and audits.
- Develop and lead internal compliance reporting and escalation.
- Maintain systems, processes and standards to evaluate the effectiveness of the Ascension Compliance Program.
- Develop compliance tools and standards that address compliance program elements and compliance risk areas.
- Manage compliance services within Ascension to budget.
- Work collaboratively and in partnership with Ascension Legal to provide compliance advice and counsel.
- Serve as a member of various Ascension work groups, committees and teams, as appropriate, where compliance advice is appropriate.
- Promote, exemplify and support the Ascension Core Values of Service of the Poor, Reverence, Integrity, Wisdom, Creativity, and Dedication.
- Demonstrate Virtuous Servant Leadership.
- Strong influencing skills and the capability to collaborate with stakeholders at every level.
- Strong interpersonal and presentation skills – ability to communicate across all levels of the organization.
- Project management skills and the ability to act independently and responsibly in a fast-moving environment.
- Problem solving—the individual identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner and gathers and analyzes information skillfully.
- Delegation—the individual delegates work assignments, gives authority to work independently, sets expectations and monitors delegated activities.
- Leadership—the individual inspires and motivates others to perform well, accepts feedback from others.
- Management skills—the individual includes staff in planning, decision-making, facilitating and process improvement; makes self available to staff; provides regular performance feedback; and develops subordinates’ skills and encourages growth.
- Judgment—the individual displays willingness to make decisions, exhibits sound and accurate judgment and makes timely decisions.
- Planning/organizing—the individual prioritizes and plans work activities, uses time efficiently and develops realistic action plans.
- Reports to: Senior Vice President & Deputy General Counsel, Ascension
- Supervises: Regional Compliance Officers, Subject Matter Expert Compliance Officers, Ascension Compliance Center of Excellence subject matter experts and administrative support staff
- Collaborates/coordinates with: Ascension Legal, including the Ascension Legal Practice Area Lead for Compliance; Ascension Finance; Ascension Revenue Cycle and various other internal and external parties (e.g., internal audit and revenue cycle management).
What You Will Need
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor of Science degree in accounting, healthcare administration, business or related field is required. A graduate degree in business or healthcare administration and certification as a CHC (Certified in Healthcare Compliance) is preferred.
- Compliance Officer must have a minimum of twenty (20) years of work experience in healthcare compliance, legal, internal audit or other related fields. Work experience must include complex and multi-site health systems or hospital systems.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Ascension Health participates in the Electronic Employment Verification Program. Please click the E-Verify link below for more information.