Job ID: 327697
Regular / Rotating
We Are Hiring
Surgical Technologist - Surgery 001 - PRN, Rotating - St Vincent's Medical Center - Bridgeport, CT
Why Join Ascension?
St. Vincent's Health Services, in Bridgeport, Connecticut, includes a licensed 473-bed community teaching hospital, a 76-bed inpatient psychiatric facility in Westport, a large multispecialty provider group, and St. Vincent's Special Needs Services. In 2012, and again in 2018, St. Vincent's achieved Magnet® Recognition by the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC), the highest national honor for nursing excellence. Known throughout the region for exceptional cardiovascular care, St. Vincent’s specializes in primary care, breast health, obstetrics, emergency medicine, behavioral health, cancer care, bariatric, and orthopedics. St. Vincent's was founded in 1903 by the Daughters of Charity.
St. Vincent’s Health Services is part of Ascension, a faith-based healthcare organization dedicated to transformation through innovation across the continuum of care. As one of the leading non-profit and Catholic health systems in the U.S., Ascension is committed to delivering compassionate, personalized care to all, especially to those most in need. In FY2018, Ascension provided nearly $2 billion in care of persons living in poverty and other community benefit programs.
What You Will Do
As a Surgical Technologist with St. Vincent's Health Services, you will have the opportunity to facilitate the safe and efficient performance of surgical procedures.
- Prepares surgical operating suite with sterile drapes and sterile solutions as well as appropriate sterile and non-sterile instruments and supplies.
- Hands required/requested instruments and supplies to surgeon during surgery.
- Assists with preparing, transporting, positioning and draping patients.
- Maintains instruments in an organized manner and monitors/tracks instruments counts throughout procedures.
- Demonstrates expertise in the preparation process for the surgical procedure after consultation with the surgical team as to identified plan of care.
- Understands and utilizes principles of surgical asepsis.
- Implements barrier precautions in the decontamination of the surgical suite and equipment post operatively.
- Functions as a collaborative team member enhancing inter and intradepartmental relationships.
- Uses high reliability behaviors to provide safe and efficient patient care.
- Other Duties as assigned
- Follows safe guidelines and limitations for receiving, transporting, and stocking of intravenous (IV) fluids as related to specified essential job duties. Ensures that intravenous (IV) fluids are kept safe and secure, have not been tampered with and are not expired. Intravenous(IV) fluids are defined as solutions containing 5 % dextrose, 0.9 % sodium chloride or combinations of these two solutions.
What You Will Need
- Required Credential(s):
- Certified BLS Provider credentialed from the American Heart Association (AHA) obtained prior to hire date or job transfer date.
- Certified BLS Provider credentialed from the American Red Cross obtained prior to hire date or job transfer date.
- Preferred Credential(s):
- Certified Surgical Tech specializing in Surgery credentialed from the National Board of Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting (NBSTSA).
- High School Diploma OR Equivalent
- Graduate of an Accredited Surgical Technologist Program REQUIRED
- Prior experience PREFERRED
To comply with federal regulations of the Immigration Reform and Control Act (IRCA), all employees are required to complete an Employment Eligibility Verification form (I-9). This law applies to all hires including volunteers and students.
St. Vincent's Health Services participates in the Electronic Employment Verification Program. Please click the E-Verify link below for more information.
E-Verify (link to E-verify site)